Most breast cancers happen in women who have no family history of breast cancer, but there are some women who carry genetic mutations - like BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 mutations -that can increase their risk of developing breast cancer.
If your family history includes any of the following, you may benefit from genetic testing:
- Several relatives with breast cancer
- Any relative with ovarian cancer
- Relatives who developed breast cancer before age 50
- A relative with breast cancer in both breasts
- A male relative with breast cancer
If you think you may be at higher risk of developing breast cancer, you can call the MMC Comprehensive Breast Center at 615-867-8040 and we can work with you to assess your risk and build a plan of action. We can discuss genetic testing with you, help work with your insurance to cover the cost of the test, and create a strategy to manage your risk of developing breast cancer.