Drs. David and Yolando Chatman Scholarship
In 2020, the physicians at Murfreesboro Medical Clinic and SurgiCenter established The MMC Foundation (a 501(c)(3)charitable foundation) to advance its mission to foster continuous improvement in our community’s health. The MMC Foundation has partnered with MMC’s Diversity Committee to develop a minority scholarship for local students who are advancing to medical school. It’s our hope that this will enhance the diversity of the Rutherford County medical community through the recruitment and development of physicians from ethnic minority groups that are typically underrepresented in medicine. This scholarship will be awarded on an annual basis.
David Chatman, M.D.
Yolando McGriff-Chatman, M.D.
- Resident of Rutherford or an adjacent county and/or MTSU junior, senior or graduate student.
- Have been accepted into any medical school in the United States - allopathic (MD) or osteopathic medical school (DO) or podiatric (DPM).
- Member of underrepresented group of American applicants; These groups include African-American/Black, Latino/Hispanic, Native American/American Indian or Alaska natives or Hawaiian/Pacific Islander.
The recipient will receive $5,000 paid to their chosen medical school presented at a check presentation at Murfreesboro Medical Clinic.
What needs to be submitted?
- Acceptance letter to medical school
- Two letters of recommendation from college or university professors-to be reviewed by MMC’s Diversity Committee
- Completion of a 500 – 1,000 word essay to be reviewed by MMC’s Diversity Committee. Please share your medical career goals and how you will make a difference in healthcare.
- Photo of applicant
- Completed online application
Will need to be completed:
- Virtual interview with a member of MMC's Diversity Committee.
Completed applications must be submitted by March 1, 2022 to be considered.
Applicants will be notified by March of virtual interview date and time with the selection committee.
Recipient of the scholarship will be notified by April 2022.
Applicants will receive a conformation email once their application has been submitted. For questions, please email [email protected]